Monday, October 25, 2010

The Switch Witch and other Ideas

What is a Switch Witch you might ask?  Well, she comes to your house a few days after Halloween (when you are sick of all the candy that your kids don't need)  Basically the concept is to leave all your leftover Halloween candy on your doorstep one evening and the Switch Witch comes and takes it all and leaves a little treat in its place (like a book, DVD, etc.....)  I haven't done this but each year I hear about many people doing this and I think it's a smart idea.

This year my plan was to find a local doctors office to donate our unwanted candy to.  Instead, I read about this idea and thought it sounded great!  If you live in the DFW area and you want to donate your candy (non chocolate) to me then please let me know and I'll get it from you and get it to the right person.  If you are not local, then you may want to find a doctors office that accepts candy or plan for the Switch Witch to visit.  Either way, don't let all that candy just sit at your house.

While reading Chelsea's blog about donating the candy I was also excited to hear about the can drive idea she found in her homeschooling curriculum.  We plan to do this as well and donate our food to the Community Storehouse.  This is a wonderful way to involve your kids.  Let them be a part of each step of this process:  let them collect the cans on Halloween night, let them help you sort/bag them, make sure they are with you when you drop them off, and don't forget about the conversations you can have along the way that will open their eyes to the world around them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment